Battlefield Course - Legends on the Niagara, Niagara Falls, Ontario
The Legends on the Niagara is an expansive 45-hole pay-as-you-play golf facility, situated on 1,000 acres of land overlooking the mighty Niagara River, only 3 kilometers above the world famous Niagara Falls. The world class golf facility was developed by the Niagara Parks Commission and was designed to complement the other Commission owned, Whirlpool Golf Club, which was designed by the legendary golf course architect, Stanley Thompson.
The Battlefield Course sits adjacent to the historic plains where the Battle of Chippewa was fought during the War of 1812. The course weaves through majestic Oak woodlands, across gently rolling plains and around two expansive man-made lakes, that present classic risk & reward options on 7 holes, including the 7th, 8th , 9th , 11th , 16th , 17th & 18th. The attractive cedar clad Clubhouse overlooks a massive 20 acre lake that divides the 9th and 18th holes of the Battlefield Course.
The flat terrain and heavy, clay-based soils presented many design and construction challenges and required a very creative design approach, along with a well - conceived drainage scheme.
Designed in a traditional parkland style, the golf course features spacious sweeping fairways, intricate bunkering and large subtly contoured greens that enhance the visual and strategic character of the course.
Since opening in 2002, the Legends on the Niagara has established itself as the area’s top golf facility and hosted the LPGA BMO Canadian Women’s Open in 2004, won by Meg Mallon.